2019 Gender and Education Association international conference
will be hosted by the University of Portsmouth in theUnited Kingdom!
Conference: Tuesday 25th June – Thursday 27th June 2019
- 24th June: Professor Emma Renold, Cardiff University
- 25th June: Professor Heidi Mirza, Goldsmiths, University of London
- 26th June: Professor Deevia Bhana, University of KwaZulu-Natal
- 27th June: Professor Kalwant Bhopal, University of Birmingham
Our conference theme, About Face, aims to spur conversation about the multitude of ways in which inequalities shape the contemporary global context, and how these are both enforced and challenged within and through education.
- AboutFace, as in a change in understanding as we reflect on the major political, social, economic, and environmental events of the last few years and the ways they have shaped and will continue to shape education across the globe.
- About Face, as in how we see each other, how we see ourselves, and how we see our world.
- About Face, as in how we are seen or unseen, recognised or misrecognised, visible or invisible.
- About Face, as in about our faces and bodies; how we self-identify and how our identities are shaped; how gender norms, ideals of physical appearance, standards of beauty, measures of femininity and masculinity are imposed upon bodies in different ways; how this impacts upon educational experiences for students and upon employment experiences for staff in educational institutions.
- About Face, as in a turning towards a recognition of identities and in/visibilities in education and a turning towards action to address intersecting inequalities.
Organising Committee: Co-chairs: Dr Jessica Gagnon and Dr Yuwei Xu; Committee members: Nicky Ansell, Sukh Hamilton, Dr Terese Jonsson, Dr Phevos Kallitsis, Angel Layer, Dr Martin Myers, Dr Jovana Radulovic, Dr Francesca Salvi