2019 Gender and Education Association international conference
will be hosted by the University of Portsmouth in theUnited Kingdom!
Conference: Tuesday 25th June – Thursday 27th June 2019
- Professor Deevia Bhana, University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Professor Kalwant Bhopal, University of Birmingham
- Dr Sindy L Joyce, University of Limerick
- Professor Heidi Mirza, Goldsmiths, University of London
- Lisa Smith, Youth Programme Leader for Travellers’ Times, Vice-Chair for Advisory Council for the Education of Romany and other Travellers
- Professor Shirley-Anne Tate, Leeds Beckett University
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Friday 1st February 2019
Our conference theme, About Face, aims to spur conversation about the multitude of ways in which inequalities shape the contemporary global context, and how these are both enforced and challenged within and through education.
- AboutFace, as in a change in understanding as we reflect on the major political, social, economic, and environmental events of the last few years and the ways they have shaped and will continue to shape education across the globe.
- About Face, as in how we see each other, how we see ourselves, and how we see our world.
- About Face, as in how we are seen or unseen, recognised or misrecognised, visible or invisible.
- About Face, as in about our faces and bodies; how we self-identify and how our identities are shaped; how gender norms, ideals of physical appearance, standards of beauty, measures of femininity and masculinity are imposed upon bodies in different ways; how this impacts upon educational experiences for students and upon employment experiences for staff in educational institutions.
- About Face, as in a turning towards a recognition of identities and in/visibilities in education and a turning towards action to address intersecting inequalities.
Please see the full CFP for themes which could be explored within presentations at the conference. We invite contributions in a range of formats, including academic papers or presentations, roundtables, themed panels, symposia, workshops, creative interventions or performances, along with other formats that share ideas and generate discussions in innovative ways. Abstracts should be submitted online. Please see the full CFP for abstract submission guidance.
Not sure yet whether you can attend in person? You are still welcome to submit an abstract. For those who have an abstract accepted but are unable to attend in person there will be an opportunity to participate in a simultaneous virtual conference (which will include papers available online with a moderated discussion forum).
Organising Committee: Co-chairs: Dr Jessica Gagnon and Dr Yuwei Xu; Committee members: Nicky Ansell, Sukh Hamilton, Dr Terese Jonsson, Dr Phevos Kallitsis, Angel Layer, Dr Martin Myers, Dr Jovana Radulovic, Dr Francesca Salvi